Flea Control

Flea control and dog tick treatment have never been as easy and convenient as they are today. With plenty of tick and flea control products available in the market, all you need to do is figure out which pet care product is most suitable for your pet.

Despite the abundance of flea control products in the market, flea prevention is still the most effective flea control method. To ensure that you can help prevent flea and tick infestation on your pet, it is very important that you understand the flea life cycle and where they spend their lives. Fleas spend 95% of their lives in the environment where your pet lives and the other 5% on your pet. based on this fact, successful flea control should focus on environment control and pet control.

Environmental Control

Since most of a flea’s lifespan is spent not on your pet but in the environment, environmental control for fleas is very critical. The best method to ensure a flea-free environment is to give all your pets (dogs and cats) Frontline Advantage treatment monthly. We recommend year-round administration or at least starting several weeks before spring and continuing until winter.

Pet Control

As with environmental control, flea prevention on the pet is much easier and safer than ever before. Flea sprays, powders, dips, collars and shampoos are no longer the standard for prevention. Technology has produced topical applications, such as Frontline Top Spot, Frontline Plus, and Frontline Advantage, that are placed on the back once a month. They all kill adult fleas (5% of the life cycle) and Frontline also kills ticks within 12-24 hours.

The active ingredients in these two spot applications do not enter the blood stream, rather they stay in the oily layer of the skin. Since they are mixed with oil, it cannot be washed off during bathing or in the rain. They are ideal for all dogs and cats, but is especially helpful in pets with a previous flea problem, flea allergy dermatitis, and pets who spend time outdoors and may roam. The products should be given either year round or early spring until the first killing frost.

Flea Control Tips

If you’re a pet owner, keeping these flea control tips in mind can save you lots of trouble later. Remember, for every adult flea that you see, there are at least 50 others that you don’t see.

  1. Although fleas prefer dogs and cats, they bite humans as well.
  2. Many dogs and cats are allergic to the flea’s saliva that is injected into the skin when a bite occurs.
  3. Many fleas carry tape worms, which are ingested when your dog or cat grooms themselves.
  4. Fleas can live on your pet all year round, even if your pet is outdoors during the winter.
  5. One female flea can produce up to 60 eggs per day and can live for three to four months. That’s over 7000 eggs for every female flea’s lifetime.
  6. A severe flea infestation can be life threatening to puppies and kittens.
  7. The most effective treatment for fleas is early prevention.

For more flea control and dog tick removal information, browse the rest of the articles on our website.

    Leave a Comment

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.